Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 9

It's unbelievable, the things that get in my way when I am trying to train for a race or get back on track with my running. Back in the fall, time was not on my side. And I learned the mistake to not run 13.1 6 days before a race. That killed my timing!

Now, it's my right knee. I've often found it to be a little sore or tender here and there. From what I've gathered, it didn't seem to be alarming, but rather normal from running. I remember vividly, 3 years ago... One fall evening I was running (for the second time that day actually). I did a lot of turns around a half mile loop in our n'hood. On my home, I ran up our yard. I suddenly felt a sudden deep pain in my right knee. It hurt bad. I iced it and rested it a few days and then it went away. And since then, that knee has given me pains every now and then.

After I ran the half marathon this past Thanksgiving, I noticed later that day the my right knee felt a tad swollen, inside the knee. It was a weird feeling. I was on my feet a lot that day. I didn't rest as much as I should have. I went up and down stairs a dozen times at least. That could have irritated it after 13 miles. Who knows really...

This past Thursday, I ran 4. My knee felt slightly swollen behind the knee cap Friday as we drove to Raleigh. It wasn't too much of a bother Friday, but it was swollen. My legs were pretty swollen that day because I had been drinking 80 oz. of water (had kidney pain which made me worry it might be a stone). My man and my son both said my legs looked huge. Nice. Well Saturday rolled around and I ran 6 miles on a treadmill. Didn't bother me one bit when running. I stretched extensively afterward. But by Sunday, there was a little swelling again. Monday it seemed ok. So I ran 4 miles that evening. The run felt harder for some reason. I know my shoes are needing to be replaced. That evening, a half hour when I was done with running, the knee swelled up - big time. I iced it while watching tv. When I stood up, it hurt. Tuesday, it was visibly moderately swollen. It was hard to bend; uncomfy to walk on. I should have iced it but never got around to doing that. I was very downcast about it.

Today, it's a little better. I can bend it a little more, but it's still slightly swollen and has that feeling like there's liquid in it. It makes no sound. In fact, when I used to bend my knees, that right one would always make a crunching sound when I stood up. Wierd how that sound is gone when it's swollen. I've been reading a lot on the web. I really think it's the miscus or the medial collateral ligament.

To top it off, two to three weeks ago I had right hip pain. Very weird. I thought it may be from constantly sleeping on my R side. So I switched and that seems to help. I've also started doing leg lifts/floor exercises which seems to help as well. I really need to get back into doing leg weights though. I think this will help a lot. I quit the gym over a year and a half ago and haven't done much with weights since then. Bad. I know.

I plan to read more. I don't want to go to the dr. yet. It seems like everything I read advises rest and ice. To go to a dr. would mean an MRI to see anything, and that's 2k and would wipe out our health savings acct. Not about to do that if taking a rest is what I really need. I may try to wrap it tight and see if that helps. I'll take another day or two off and in the mean time, replace my shoes and start back slow.
Frustrated... very frustrated.

No comments: