Saturday, July 4, 2009

Week 28 - Run 4

Woke up at 6am to get ready and go join the masses of Atlantan's who run the Peachtree Road Race 10K. After living here for 9 years, I finally decided to join in. It is basically half the route of the Half Marathon I did last November. I forgot to sign up on the day of registration back in April and it closed within 3 hours. But a sweet lady at church was going to work at an orphanage in Khazicstahn so she offered me her race number - for free! That was huge blessing as I would not have the money for it now as we are self employed and living off of savings. I was tickled and so thankful. Even better... I got to run with my friend Jennifer who started running last fall. I am so amazed at how far she has come and how she has stuck through it - even after an injury and life with 5 children. I had the best time running with her today. She did so awesome and I'm so so SO proud of her. This was the longest distance she had ever run. It could be easy to feel overwhelmed with such a large crowd, but she was not hindered by it at all. I'm going to work on her to do a half with me someday! :) We were also blessed with absolutely beautiful warm but not hot weather for the 4th of July here in Atlanta - with a sweet breeze to top it off! God knew just what we needed!
The race also got me motivated to start training for the full. I think I start next week or the one after. I am planning to start the training, see how I feel and how I am doing, and then make a commitment by Aug. 31st. There's a catch to that as well - the price doubles after that! I have some reservation that it may be just too much for me. And I honestly don't have time to obsess over something like this. So I'm trying to take a laid back approach for a final decision. I loved running the half - the full still scares me!

Happy 4th to all of my dear running blogging friends! I truly this holiday - every day should be a celebration of life and liberty! We are truly blessed and have so much to be thankful for!

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Congratulations to both of you! Great job and so fun to run with a friend.

Love the pic!

Wendy said...

Great job to you both!
I think that's a good way to approach the full - just see how it goes and then sign up. It's a big commitment - time and money.

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

You were awesome yesterday! Your encouragement was a huge boost for me. I know you could have run much faster on your own, and it meant a lot to me that you were willing to hang back and keep me company! Thanks, my dear - you're the best!

Much Ado said...

Congratulations to you and your friend! How fun to do that together! You both look great, so happy and healthy.

(I have to admit that I couldn't help but fixate on your fuel belt.... ;))