Ran 4 miles Thursday and felt ok. I still felt like it was a lot of work just to run 4. That's not a normal feeling for me.
Then today, I got up at 7am, ate a big ol' bagel, did some light stretching, took my time getting ready, and headed out to run by 8am. The first 2 miles felt rusty, so I tried to slow my pace down. Then the next two were ok but I still felt tight and rusty. Then the next 2 were fine. I got a water refill at mile 6 at my house and headed back for the next 6. This is when things started to go south - VERY south, fast. By mile 7, I felt some pain in my left outer thigh. It felt like it was coming from somewhere very deep in my very lower left back and wrapping around to my outer thigh to the outside of my left knee. So I stopped to stretch my quad thinking this would help. By mile 7.5 it was hurting. So I stopped to stretch some other parts of my leg. Didn't help. I made it to mile 8 and this is when I knew something was very wrong. I sat down on a patch of concrete off the sidewalk and tried stetching my outer thigh, back and legs any way I could. I debated going into a Subway restraunt at 8.5 miles to call my man since I did not have my cell. I really wanted to do that, but I also really wanted to get through today's 12 mile run (which was only 11). I turned around to head home for the final 2.5 miles and it was sooo bad. I cried. So upset. It hurt. I walked and then things seemed ok and I started to run and by 100 yards or less it would hurt. So I continued this just to get home so I could get this run over with and hurry to get ready for my son's football game. I was pressed for time since this threw off my schedule. That's why I tried to run through the pain. I took a shower, sat in the ice bath for 15 min. and iced it all afternoon at my son's game. It seems to be ok now and then, but when I try to go downhill (or stairs) it is tender. I think it's the ITB from what I can tell. But it's not the outer thigh that hurts, its a ligament on the side of the knee. Perhaps that is the ITB. I guess I will ice it, find ways to stretch it and rest as much as I can. I am soooo upset about this. I was so commited to finishing this training. I don't know what to think and my emotions are all over the place in what to do.
On somewhat of a same note; last night I took my Nimbus shoes to Fleet Feet. I've been feeling they were too wide for me and have been feeling like my foot is not planted right each time it strikes. My forefoot moves around too much so I went to the store and they helped me with a different shoe. I ended up with a Saucony Progrid Guide. It's not as soft as the Asics. They did not give me any problems today as far as how my feet felt, but I can't help but wonder if this played a role in what went wrong?
UGH! So frustrated...
4 comments:
So sorry-how frustrating for you! I hope you can have a good "Sabbath" tomorrow, with lots of rest and ice.
So sorry to hear that, Kate. I will pray it is nothing serious. I would probably take a few days off. It's not going to hurt you at all to miss a couple shorter runs.
Carry your cell, lady! Did you end up getting a spi-belt?
Oh Kate, I can imagine how this experience threw you off emotionally. You have been so committed to your training, my heart goes out to you. I will pray also it's nothing serious. I am wondering too if it could be connected to the shoes, but I would still follow Wendy's advice a rest a couple of days. An injury will set you back much farther that a couple of days. Don't let it get you down...
Sounds terrible! I hope you get some rest and feel better soon!
Post a Comment