The story of Chelsea King grieves me, so deeply. A beautiful and talented 17 yr. old in San Diego raped and killed. Honor student. Cross country star. Ran in a 'well known' populated park. Where is it safe anymore? Is mace even enough? I know where the sex offenders near me live and I avoid those areas. I run with awareness all the time, mace in hand, but am easily distracted by the beauty that surrounds me. I'm so sad right now... Creeps like John Gardner that took Chelsea from her loved ones should NEVER have been back in society. They affect all of us, still.Added later:
I had a few friends email me today and told me that they thought of me when they heard this tragic story, and to be careful when I run. SO sweet. It's frustrated me to all ends how the legal system failed here. I will not be fearful, and stop running; just that much more aware of my surroundings.
My man dragged me to the gym tonight and gave me a killer leg weight workout. I'll probably be sore tomorrow and the day after! I ran 3 miles at the gym tonight and prayed for Chelsea's family, for my safety, and for my running friends safety. I'm going to make that a habit each and every run now.
2 comments:
Such a great loss. My prayers are with her family and friends as they begin to grieve.
These kinds of thing make me sick...my oldest is this age. My prayers go to the family of this beautiful girl.
It really is not safe out there.
Post a Comment