Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Atlanta Marathon Memories

So here's the rundown on marathon #2 ...

The Atlanta Marthon - started at 7am.

35 chilly degrees at start.

First time I wore a hat for 16 miles. I used my gloves as a tissue.

The outfit I wore was the first time I wore it - no test runs!

The shoes I wore had 13 miles on them...

The socks were new.

No chaffing ANYWHERE!


I drank about 4-6oz of Powerade at almost each water station - red, yellow, blue - all so mmmmm!

I drank water when I swallowed down my Strawberry Banana Power Bar gels or when I felt thirsty.



I started listening to music at mile 3.

I was pretty much cold the first 12 miles.

I warmed up by mile 16.


I never hit the wall!!!!! 

I wore a 4:45 pace tat and followed it like the absolute law.

I rarely walked, except at water stops for 15 sec. at most; 1 min or so up 2 long hills, and 2 minutes up Heart Attack Hill at mile 24. I just had to then.


I prayed. A lot. I sang. I looked at charming, beautiful southern Victorian homes through Atlanta and wondered how they must look inside. I took in the beautiful fall colored trees. I soaked up the sun when it was on my face. I thanked all the supporters. I high fived little kids. I talked to myself a lot. I felt strong. My foot hurt. My calves hurt. Then they didn't. My legs were burning up the hills. I felt happy. I felt His presence the entire time.

I heard my name .3 of a mile from the finish line. It was a sweet friend who lived down there, hoped she'd see me, and happened to right before she left!

I saw the finish line (pictured below!). I saw 4:50. I felt true bliss of hard work truly paying off.


I crossed the finish line. I received a medal from a sweet lady. I saw my camera man. I walked backward just a little and tried to re-enact just receiving my medal! (It was funny!)

I saw my family and my parents and was enveloped by so much love.



I answered questions about the race, about the awesome ministry I ran for, and was just overwhelmed when I heard I meet my goal of helping 200 children and then some.  


205 precious children. I prayed for each of them. I will continue to pray for each of them.

I loved every single second of how hard and hilly this run was.

I'll do it again once I can. :)





















6 comments:

Wendy said...

Congrats, Kate! So awesome!
Can't wait to do it together!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats on finishing your 2nd marathon!! Glad you had a great race even though it was chilly and hilly. You easily beat my 2nd marathon finish time and I can't wait to see how your 3rd one goes - my 3rd was my fastest yet! Great recap and pictures, too!

That Pink Girl said...

Your giganitic smile says it all! SO stinkin' proud of you! Congratulations on a new PR and a strong race! Hope you are enjoying a few days of rest and recovery. LOVE the smiles!!!

Terri said...

LOVE the race re-cap!!! Choked up when you said you felt His presence the entire time! I knew you would rock this race, I knew you were going to be strong! Sooo proud of you! so happy for you! can't wait until we can do it together sometime!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

What a joy to read this post! I was smiling the whole time and my boys wondered WHAT in the world on my computer was so interesting! :D I'm soooo proud of you!
"I never hit the wall" --- PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!"
"I met my goal and then some" --- HALLELUJAH!

Just so awesome, all the way around. Oh, and you are just stinking cute in all the pics! xoxo

Much Ado said...

Kate - YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Congratulations, your second marathon and a sub 5 hour time!!!! So proud of you.