Thursday, December 4, 2008

Week 48 - The Half Marathon

I did not run this week at all. I thought it would be best to rest since I just ran my own half last Friday. I drank lots of water all week (probably more than usual) to hydrate for the run so I would not have to drink a lot while running.
Thursday morning, I could not sleep. I woke up at 3:30 and that was it. I was awake. So I layed in bed until 5 and got up and had a little coffee. I could not eat. My stomach had race day jitters! I put on my running tights, a short sleeve wicking shirt, my long sleeve wicking shirt I got form the race, and then a fleece sweatshirt. I put on my bib number, and safety pinned 5 gels to my waist band. We left the house by 5:50. We were getting a little lost finding the drop off location, but got there by 6:40 with 20 minutes to spare. I used the porta potty - in the dark, that can be very tricky with no lights! The temp outside was 36 degrees. My legs were cold!! I sucked down my first gel packet with caffeine. My man prayed for me, and all the kids were there to send me off with a kiss and well wishes. I stood with thousands of people before shuffling in my corral.
Once in the corral, we had about 10 minutes before the race started. I noticed just about everyone had their ipod so I didn't feel the need to hide mine! ;) I loved seeing the range of people there - in ages, shapes, sizes, etc. I was standing near a short, stocky, muscular black man named Phil Allison. I did not find out his name until the end of the race, because... he stuck with me! But before that happened, the race started, we crossed a mat and that's when our time chip started. The first mile was awesome; everyone was pumped and you could feel the energy and excitement. Most were there to have a good time from what I gathered. I noticed Phil was to my left and kept looking back at me to make sure I was keeping up. He didn't look me in my eyes, just that glance to the side to see if I was there and doing ok. A pack of Marines ran by with their flag. Phil saw them and started yelling a chant; the pack of Marines followed with an echo. At the end, Phil yelled Semper Fi and a few other words (I think it was the unit he was in). I will assume he was or still is a Marine. Very cool. So - onward I go. We never really talked. Just ran by each other and he was always looking to his side to see if I was there and ok. He would yell out for all to take notice of a pot hole or a bump in the road by yelling "Step" and point at it. At mile 4, I finally told him I was getting water up ahead. I wanted to say that so he would keep going if he wanted. He jogged in place as I grabbed a cup and chugged down a few sips. Then we continued on and I sucked down a second gel packet with 2x caffeine.

I loved seeing the crowds along the street cheering in certain spots. It was so fun to run through Buckhead. I felt a little emotion that I was running through Atlanta at that point. It took me 8 years to see the areas I ran through! At mile 5, I took off my fleece sweatshirt (which is very light in weight) and tied it around my waist. I was feeling hot even though it was about 40 degrees at this point.

By mile 8 I felt a little emotional. Knowing I had 5 more miles to go, had not walked at all, had a "friend"who has my back, that my man and kids would be at the end of the race waiting for me, and that I was feeling great. I sucked down my third gel packet, with caffeine. I did start to feel tired by mile 10, but Phil was chugging along and that in and of itself kept me going. I wanted to walk, even if just for 30 seconds, but did not want him to ditch me at this point. The story changed at Mile 11. He started getting tired, and I got this amazing surge of energy and wanted to just bolt. But I wasn't about to leave him behind. At this point, we had been running up an incline for a mile, and had about another mile of an incline to go. It was tiring. And he was huffing and puffing but I finally spoke up and told him he could do it. By mile 12 he started to drop behind me, and I slowed down and said I am not leaving without you. By 12.5, we just pushed it to get to the finish. (Somewhere around mile 12 I had one more gel packet, but can't remember exactly if I had three or four all together.)

I crossed the mat at 2:23. My goal was 2:20 but that's ok. I was thrilled to get it done, to not walk at all, and feel as great as I did. The called first said my name as Katey Tate, then corrected himself. They handed us a medal for finishing. I thanked Phil again for sticking with me. I told him if it was not for him looking out for me at first, I would have walked a long time ago. He ditto'ed what I said and thanked me as well. We shook hands, and then went looking for our supporters!

Since there were 10,000 people running this race, there were so many people at the finish line and surrounding area. I could not find my man and kids so I went to the info booth and used a gotten me a flower boquet, we took a few pictures, and left soon after. I wanted to get home and get my cold bath and hot shower and then eat. I was getting hungry!

No comments: