Well, I did it; I ran a half on my own. I wanted to run in the morning, but the temperature was in the upper 30's until 2. It finally hit 40 so I got ready to go. It was windy (15mph) so it made the air feel even colder. I wore my running tights, a long sleeve stretch shirt and my fleece sweatshirt. It was enough on top even though I could feel the wind sneak in at times. My legs were another story... Going against the wind was hard. And shaded areas were too. My legs were cold the entire time. I don't know if that affected my speed/time/etc but it was not exactly what I had hoped for.
I ran the first 4 miles at what I thought was a moderate pace. I walked a minute after the first 3 miles. My time turned out to be 10 min. miles when I subtracted the walking. I wanted to go slower. I stopped for 2 min. to "eat" some gel. I bought a fruit flavored one with no caffeine for after the first 4 miles. I ran the next 4 and felt fine. My legs were still very cold but I managed. I came back at 8 miles and had another gel packet, this time with caffeine. I drank some water (about 6 oz) with each one. The next two miles (8-10) were fine. The last three I started to feel tired and a little hungry. Mile 11 was ok. My feet were getting sore. My toes actually felt cold or somewhat numb the entire time. I don't know if that was due to the mesh in the front of my shoe. I thought they would warm up but never seemed to. Mile 11 was hard. A lot of slow incline and lots of shade so it felt colder. My hips were tired. I walked 30 seconds two times during that mile. Mile 12 was hard. I was getting sore and very tight. I wonder if that was from the cold temps. I turned the corner at 12.8 miles and saw my house and just turned it up. I made it to 13.1 and felt such releif. My feet and hips hurt the most.
I stretched out for about 10 min. Then, I got in the bath tub filled with cold water. That was torture! I stayed in for 10 min. and was just freezing. But my legs felt great! Then I got in the hot shower and just relaxed. I wasn't hungry for awhile. It seems when I do a long run, it takes me hours to get hungry. I went out to eat with my man, then to the bookstore, then put my feet up. Today (the morning after) I'm not that sore. Just a little in my hip area and my right knee feels a little tender (and that knee never hurt yesterday!).
I ran 13. 1 in 2 hours and 29 min.
No comments:
Post a Comment