Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Training Week 4

Just got back from a very, very sweaty HOT run. I was in the sun the whole 4 miles. I am still dripping! I can't wait to meet that shower! I am on chapter 7 of Hal Higdon's Marathon. I am reading the "10 Truths" about marathon achievement. I am getting very nervous. I need friends and family to get in my head and tell me I will finish! I am now telling myself turtle pace is great. Just go for turtle pace and the goal to finish. I am putting NO time limits on it, and am just running to finish. At first I wanted to finish in 5 hours, but I think it's best for me to let go of that. I was looking ahead to weeks 10 to 16 and am just praying for nice cool weather then.

"You need to prepare yourself mentally...Riding 4 hours in a car can be very boring. You need to develop psychological strategies for combating that same boredom while running 26 miles."
-Hal Higdon

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I think the best thing to do, especially with your first one is just run to finish and take it all in. Enjoy the sites and the people. Just be present in the moment. It really is something you'll never forget. You can do it Kate!! I wish I could be there to cheer you on to the finish!

Much Ado said...

Yes, I agree just soak up the atmosphere and finishing is the most important thing - you'll do great! I just know it!

Terri said...

Having never accomplished a full marathon I think the advice of Wendy and Jane is right on spot (as Jane would say) I know you can do this Kate and I wish I could be there to cheer you on too as you cross the finish line.

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

You can do it - I know you can! I think I'm adopting the same strategy for the half - cuz I'm just not sure I can do it at all! But turtle pace is great -- just finishing is great, and I know you will! You have my prayers!