I am amazed to say I really had no pain or soreness after the long run. I was on my feet all day after I ran that 15 miles, and my right knee definitely felt swollen and tender. But I knew I needed to rest it and it would be better. Sunday, my quads just felt tired more than anything but no soreness. Today, I felt fine too (sometimes 48 hours later is when the soreness can kick in). So strange. Guess the ice bath and then hot bath worked! Plus I've been doing more basic stretching here and there. It's been pouring rain here but at 7pm, the rain moved East and I was able to get out and run 4 miles. This week is 4,8,4,16. I will definitely not do the 8 miler two days before the long run. Last week I ran 7 on Thursday and then rested as much as I could Friday and ran 15 Sat. My legs were so tired and my back was sore so I am going to try to do the 8 on Wed.
When I ran tonight though, my legs felt tight and heavy. They loosened up a tiny bit by mile 3 but not much. I may have needed to rest one more day... One things for sure, my legs are getting thick. I just read tonight that 3-6 weeks before race day one should stop doing strength training. So guess I will just do light weights, medium to high reps for two to three more weeks.
3 comments:
Yay! I am so glad that you are feeling good after your long run!
I've heard that you are being pounded with rain! We've had an unusually dry and sunny summer, tomorrow should be 85 and pure sunshine! Not bad for the first day of autumn in the northwest! :)
Keep up the awesome work with your running! :)
You're doing great with your training, and I imagine you feel very healthy and strong, I love that about running! :)
That soreness two days later is DOMS, delayed onset muscles soreness. I used to get that all of the time.
Smart idea - to spread out your longer runs during your week. I hope to run 16 miles this week, too. : )
I, too, read somewhere not to do weights before your race (maybe 1-2 weeks, though) to give your body a bit of a break, I guess.
A few weeks ago, my back hurt (especially after I ran) so I started doing back exercises. I think the pain was from stress (moving related), but running made my back hurt more. My pain is gone now and I hope yours goes away soon, too.
Post a Comment