Monday, I ran 3 miles. I went before dinner. It was gray and cool outside. I ran a flatter route. The first 1 mile was great. I ran it too fast. By 1.5 miles, I felt a twinge of pain in my left knee just like when it first started nine days ago. So, I walked a few minutes. Then I ran the next half mile and felt it again. So, I walked a few more minutes. Then ran some more and it came back. Just a faint twinge, but enough for me to want to walk. I walked the last half mile home. Bummed...
I rested Tuesday and went for a run on Wednesday. I went around noon in the cool rain. I ran 3 miles, alternating 2 minutes of running with 2 minutes of walking. This seemed to do the trick. I made it through all 3 miles at a slow pace, but with no pain. So I added one more mile to make it 4. Felt GREAT!
Today, Wednesday, I ran 5 miles. I alternated the first mile with a 2/2 walk run. Then the 2 miles with a 3/1 with an occasional 2 min. walking period if needed. This seemed to work well. The last mile I felt something - not pain - not swelling - just something but could not figure it out. Perhaps that's what they call phantom pains?! Who knows. There was a steep hill I walked down and felt a tiny inkling of pain so I walked it slowly. Other than that, I felt fine the whole time. I got Jeff Galloway's Marathon book the other night looking for any advice and tips on how to get back on the training track after an injury. This is where I got the run walk method. I am praying it works.
I have 30 days until the marathon. I want that marathon so bad. I am praying that if it's God's will for my knee/ITB to heal, that it will, and I will be able to run it slow and steady. :) And if not yet, that I will find contentment in that for now. All in His perfect timing.
2 comments:
With a month to go and taking it easy like you did this week, it just may work out that you finish that marathon! Keep taking it easy! And ice is your friend!
Good idea to try the walk/run method, especially when you are still feeling the pain.
I will be praying for you, Kate.
Post a Comment