Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Training Week 16

So last night I decided to go for a run, and see how far I could go. In my mind I wanted to go 10. I did the first 5 mile loop and felt fine. I ran/walked a 12:30 min. mile pace and had NO pain. I stopped by the house after the 5 mile loop and changed socks since my blisters (from walking last week) were starting to bother me. I headed back out and when I got to mile 5.5 I decided that should be the end of my run. I never felt pain, but I felt something in my left knee related to the ITB which made me think it would be best to stop. Later on that evening, as we were watching the Redskins get eaten alive by the Eagles, I got up from the comfy chair I was in and my knee/ITB started to hurt when I walked!!! What in the world? I grabbed the foam roller and rolled myself on each leg and it went away. That was so bizarre. It seems ok today but who knows. I'm going to walk on the treadmill today and do some weights. My plan is that tomorrow will be a short run, walk Thursday, rest Friday and try to see how far I can go Saturday. Then I will evaluate what I should do for race day on 11/14. In my heart, I think it would be wise to switch to the half marathon. I am finally able to accept that and just know that there will be another time, another race and it would be best for me to heal first. I'll be the fist to admit that it's been quite a struggle to get past this disappointment, but I'm hoping I can learn a lot through this and help others who find themselves dealing with ITB during training.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

So sorry to hear you are still have problems w/this. I know how frustrating injuries can be. I hope you feel good the rest of the week.

Terri said...

I think anytime I am struggling with an injury I notice every little pain or glitch. It is good you were able to run over 5 miles. I know you are disappointed. I would be too. I hope and pray for continued healing.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I had a similar thing happen once. I had a pain-free morning run, but that night, it hurt to walk and I had to stop running for a while.

Trying to run a little to test the waters and then stopping when it hurts sounds smart. I know it's no fun, though!

Kim said...

Oh, no....hope everything gets lots better soon. But, patience was key for me...and I don't always do good with that.(like never do good with that) God was good, though.