Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Goal

I'm so thrilled I meet my goal for 2009 despite having to deal with an ITB injury. My goal back in January of '09 was somewhere in the 700-750 mile range. I'm about 720 miles. That's 200 more than last year. So happy with that! My total on the side bar that I did keep track of was 709. I've missed a few here or there that I forgot to write about so I'm sure it's right around 720-725 or so miles.

So I've been thinking about goals for 2010. My absolute desire is to run and finish a marathon. But in order to do that, I am making a plan of diligent stretching and rolling with the foam roller to avoid another ITB injury. And I'm making two new routes to run. The main route I did my training on this past July - Oct. was very hilly, and the sidewalks and roads are very cambered. I'm reading how these two factors can encourage an ITB injury. Hoping that a flatter route, adding more leg weights in my gym routine, as well as stretching and rolling will make a bigger difference.

My other main goal may be a bit too big, but I'm going to do my best to try to meet it - run a race each month! I think it would be fun to mix in a 5k 10k, a half here or there, and Lord willing a marathon. Finding money for the races may be tricky, as we are self employed and money is tight, but I still think it would be a fun goal to meet. We'll see... I've found that running isnt' that cheap if I take it seriously! But that's not stopping me one bit!

2 comments:

Much Ado said...

Congratulations on meeting your running goal for 09. And I LOVE your new goals - go for it! :) happy new year.

Stacey said...

Good for you!!! I love your new goals also. I need to write mine tonight. Also wanted to let you know that you can look for races that ask for food donations, toys for tots, and other "cheap" races. They do exist! :)
I need to get me a foam roller as well, that is my January goal! :)

Happy Running!!