Sunday, September 6, 2009

Training Week 8 - DONE!

Yesterday's 13 mile run went well. I wore my new Asics Nimbus shoes. I was so excited to have them and my instincts reminded me to wear them half of the run. And that was my intention....
So I headed out at 11:30 for the run. It was partly cloudy, about 74 and about 76% humidity. The first 6 miles were fine. I went at a 10:30 pace. Around mile 7 is when I noticed the shoe was rubbing my right heel and it was starting to hurt. I was going to go by my house at mile 8 to fill up the water bottles. I planned to switch socks and shoes (I actually left them ready by the door). I filled up water in 10 sec. and ran back out. I FORGOT to switch shoes. I was out of the n'hood when it dawned on me. I contemplated going back but just kept going. I now have a large size blister on the inside part of my right heel. It hurts. I have a small one on the back of my left heel. No matter what new shoes I get, I am bound to get some sort of blisters. UGH!!!
So the run went well. I was tired the last 5 miles of the run. The hills wore me out. When I got home, I quickly drank the recovery drink and got in an awesome ice bath! My girls kept bringing my Kitchen Aid bowl full of ice. It didn't seem cold after the first minute! I stayed in for about 20 min. Then switched to a hot shower. My pain was very minimal the rest of the day and today. My quads are the only area that have a tad bit of soreness. Things are chaning, that's for sure. I don't want to say I'm getting used to the long runs just yet, but I definitely am recovering better.

I tried some new gels. New shoes. New socks. New recovery drink. I'll do a review on them tomorrow.

3 comments:

Much Ado said...

Yeah! You did a half marathon and it was simply part of your training! :) Hope your blisters heal. You are going into this marathon with a lot of running savvy - gels, ice baths, etc. Looking forward to your reviews.

Wendy said...

You are doing great!
I hope your blisters heal quickly!

I think I need to try an ice bath. I'm still sore from my 18 on Saturday.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You might try different socks and see if that keeps the blisters away. I like my Balega socks best. I have some Drymax socks that I like, too. Also, I like to wear thick, rather than thin socks.