Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Training Week 8

Tonight, I ran the "sort of" long run of 6 miles. Right now it's hard for me to fathom that in a few weeks, that "sort of" long run mid week will be 8, 9 or 10 miles. Oh help me now!

The first 3 miles were at a nice 10 min. mile pace but the next 3 slowed down to 10:30. It's still better than what it's been when it was hot. It was very pleasant out tonight so I just hope my time will improve as the weather does!

I read these comments tonight about "hitting the wall." I want to be as prepared as I can to push through that on race day. I'll take any advice from those who've been there, done that! And you can tell me over and over again!
"The longest I get to is 20 miles in training and I do about three of those. Slow your pace down and know that you can push through it with your will. Your legs will keep moving if your willing to dig deep and push."

"...eating porridge (or oatabix or other 100% oat cereal) with honey two hours before the marathon has made my "wall" disappear."

Huh. The last one is interesting. I may try that on a long run in the near future.

2 comments:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

You'll get a medal from me, baby! I'm so proud of you!
I can't imagine what 10 min miles feel like yet. So proud of myself for anything faster than 11.5!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I think you'll speed up when it cools down, but I wouldn't worry about it. Your 10-10:30 pace is good. Isn't this your first marathon?

That's a great idea to experiment with your pre-run meal. Sometimes I eat oatmeal pre-run. Maybe I just need to add honey because I still get tired. ; )