Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Start

So, after two weeks of rest and having somewhat of a pity party, I am back at the gym. I thought I would walk this week before starting to run today. That didn't last long! I speed walked 2 miles yesterday and did a leg workout. Today, I walked the first mile but just could not resist trying to run a little. I ended up alternating running and walking for 3 miles. Everything felt great and I had no pain or tightness in the ITB. I did arm workout. My goal now is to slowly get back into training and work even more on my core. I'm going to do a lot of the running at the gym on the treadmill or find flat routes.

I feel like a big baby for being so upset about missing out on the marathon. Really, I do. I had a dark cloud over me for weeks. I wanted to run that so bad. My long runs were ran in a lot of rain, sometimes pouring rain, and would you know race day this past Saturday was clear, sunny and in the mid 70's. WOW!!! Oh well. That's life and I'm moving on. I guess I just had to get past what would have been race day. I've got my eyes and hopes set on two upcoming marathons. Not sure which one I can aim for yet. That realistically depends on how my ITB is. One is Jan. 16th, another on Feb. 14th, and the other is March 21st. There is one in a few weeks on Dec. 5th but I doubt I'm ready for that. Although mentally I want to run it so badly!

Thanks, my sweet running friends, for your support, encouragement and prayers. It brightened my day when I would read a sweet comment. It truly lifted my spirits!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I can't wait to see you cross that finish, because I know you will! And, I think it will be an even sweeter moment after going through the injury.

Love you, friend!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

It is so disappointing to miss a race, but you're a better runner because of the training and you know that rain can't stop you!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

So glad you feel like you've turned the corner emotionally. And glad you were able to run some! I know you'll make it - and Wendy's right - it will be a sweet moment indeed!
loveyou!

Terri said...

I vote for March 21st! Not only is it the first day of Spring which gives the idea of renewal, and new beginnings, but it is well past the crazy, stressful, holiday season. I am glad you are still setting your hopes on completing a marathon. You were so close before I know you can do it! 2010 will be the year!

Wendy said...

Hi Kate! Just thinking of you and wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you have been able run some w/no pain.